Essentials for Renting an Apartment
When you start researching for a new apartment, make sure that you cover all of the basic components to choosing the right apartment for you and
your lifestyle. There are so many factors that go into selecting the right place to live, but here are a few essential ideas to keep in mind before putting your ‘John Hancock’ on the lease:
Convenience IS a Factor
- One of the main things that potential apartment renters are intrigued by is the convenience to the property, meaning highways, stores, accessibility. Those all play a major role in determining if the apartment is going to be a perfect fit or not. You want to make sure you have easy access to highways and that traffic isn’t going to be terrible as soon as you step foot outside of the apartment. You also want to make sure that it is easy access in and out of the actual apartment complex. Do you have to walk up four flights of stairs every day? Are there elevators near your unit? Is there parking right outside? These all play a part in choosing the right apartment for your needs.
Location, Location, Location
- If you are single or married with no children, you will obviously want a place that is more suited for restaurants and bars nearby. If you have children, you want to make sure that schools are nearby and it is a safe neighborhood. These are important when choosing the right apartment, as well as making sure that a grocery store is within range as well as a gas station. These seem pretty petty, but it goes a long way in determining whether you want to sign the dotted line on a certain apartment or whether you would rather look elsewhere.
You Can’t Pick Your Neighbors?
- Picking your family is one thing, and choosing your neighbors is another animal. It is always good to inquire who your neighbors will be and what their habits are. Do they have screaming kids throughout the entire day and night, or are they the most pleasant and quiet neighbors that you could ever imagine? Having friendly and respectful neighbors is something that we all dream of when renting an apartment, so finding the perfect neighbor might be a stretch, but it doesn’t hurt to inquire when talking to the apartment realtor.
Know What You Can Afford
- We all want the biggest and best apartment, but we also always look to see what the prices are before we can make the deal. Make sure you know what you can afford before even searching for apartments – don’t make it a waste of time for you or the rental company if you know you can’t afford their property. Once you target a certain apartment complex, find out if there have been any updates to the apartment, whether it is a bathroom remodeling project or a new set of appliance installed, to see if that might drive up the price of certain units. Also, understand that you don’t want to be ‘apartment broke’ – which means you want to be able to choose the right apartment without being strapped for money each and every month. You want to be able to live your life and enjoy your surrounding community, so don’t try and pick an apartment that is out of your price range. Get the right fit for you and your spouse/family, and go for it. Don’t try and get something out of your price range that you know you won’t be able to afford.
Amenities Play a Big Role
- When you are trying to figure out whether or not you can afford a certain apartment, find out what all is included in your monthly rent. Is there an on-site workout facility that is included? What about a washer/dryer unit or an on-site laundry facility? Do you have to pay to bring certain amenities into the apartment? These questions need answered when you first talk to the rental company so that you can figure out what your monthly costs will be across the board. If some or all of these are included, then it might make you more inclined to sign a lease since they are offering many things to enhance your experience and make it that much better.
About the Author: Doug Chapman is a staff writer for HomeDaddys, a stay-at-home dad blog. He specializes in diapers and Sippy cups by day, but is a successful real estate investor by night.
*Note* – If you are looking for a corporate relocation company to move from a home to an apartment, look no further than American Relocation Connections.