Prepare Your Columbus Apartment for Winter
With winter quickly creeping up on us there are some important steps to take to make sure your apartment is well prepared. We have put together a list of 5 tips to help you get your apartment ready for winter.
1. Prepare your windows – In most upscale rental communities, you will not need to prepare your windows because they are newer and were carefully planned to help retain heat. However, in some apartment rentals, there will be cracks and holes in the window that lets cold air in. Do what you need to do to get the holes caulked and prevent the cold air from entering your apartment. You could upgrade to heavier curtains or seal up your windows. There are many window seal products out there that are designed to increase the efficiency of energy.
2. Put away outdoor gear – Before it gets too nasty outside, now is a great time to clean up your outdoor gear you had out for summer. This includes cleaning off your patio furniture and either covering it or storing it away for winter. Also, it is a great time to clean your grill and prepare it for winter.
3. Switch up your closet – Just as the seasons change, so should your wardrobe. Winter is a great time to pack up your shorts, tank tops and sandals and get out your sweaters, leggings and boots. Put your summertime outfits towards the back and move your winter clothes towards the front.
4. Run a vaporizer – If you commonly wake up in the winter months with dry skin and stuffy sinuses, we recommend investing in a humidifier. This will help add moisture to the air and can make a huge difference in how you look and feel.
5. Insulate Outlets and doors – You have already sealed your windows but are still feeling a cold draft flowing through your apartment. Where is it coming from? Sometimes outlets can be a window for cold air to creep in. Also, underneath your door can be a great place for cold air to creep in. Make sure that your outlets are insulated and invest in a draft guard to put under your door.
With these 5 simple tips, you should be well set to stay warm this winter. Even when renting a luxurious apartment, like the Schottenstein Real Estate apartments, there are still some things that you need to do to prepare for winter to maximize both energy costs and stay warm!