Keep Your Allergies Outside!
For many, springtime means warmer weather, pretty flowers, the end of boot season, and time to start preparing for the summer. For others, this time of year is synonymous with seasonal allergies. For those of you who have allergies, you know how dreadful and painful this time of year can be. It’s bad enough to start sneezing, coughing, and/or crying every time you step foot outside, you don’t also want to have to deal with allergies inside your SRE Group home. Your apartment should protect you from outside allergens, not make them worse. So, here are a few tips to help you keep those allergies outside, and relief inside:
- Keep your surfaces clean and uncluttered to protect from extra dust build-up
- Wash your bedding weekly in hot water to rid your bed of dust mites, mold spores, and possibly pet dander
- Avoid down pillows, wool blankets, and mold-attracting foam-rubber cushions, pillows, and mattresses
- Install window shades instead of curtains
- Don’t store your leather clothes in plastic bags in your closet as this can result in mold and other allergens
- Use waterproof wallpaper or paint in your bathroom since mold can grow underneath wallpaper
- Wash shower curtains once a month
- Open a window when showering to remove as much moisture from the room as possible
- Don’t leave dirty dishes or pans in your sink
- Dispose all waste in sealed garbage containers
- Avoid keeping houseplants in your kitchen, especially around the window, as these are already perfect places for mold growth
- While bare floors are the best, if you have carpet, vacuum one to two times per week
While seasonal allergies are inevitable for some, the allergens in your home or apartment can be easily reduced. While these are just a few of many tips, it’s a great place to start. We want our residents to be able to enjoy their SRE home this season and every season, so we hope these tips will do the trick for springtime allergy sufferers.